how can i get a ‘hazy’ or diffused effect on photos?

Like the movie...rate it now

i have a canon FTb QL, in case it matters. I also don’t want any photoshop tricks…i already know how to use that. I wan to get that hazy soft glow purely out of film. Either black and white or color, both would be phenomenal. i have a 35mm a 50mm and i believe a 100 or 120 mm. I think a lot of it, besides lighting of course, is depth of field, but getting it explained would help a lot. Thanks in advance to everyone who answers =]

Like the movie...rate it now


  1. Easy trick… breath on the lens before the shot… it will fog up. Results will vary. But it is very effective

    Another way is to stretch a piece of stocking over the lens

  2. You can buy diffusion filters in various degrees of diffusion from Tiffen, Hoya and other filter manufacturers.

    You can buy a Skylight 1A (uncoated) filter and put a very thin coat of Vaseline on it, leaving the center clear.

    You can stretch a piece of pantyhose over your lens.

    Take a piece of cellophane, wrinkle it up and cut an irregular hole in the center and place it over your lens.

Comments are closed.